The Quincy/DeWolfe Streets Bicycle Facility Improvement Project was successfully completed in December 2020. The project's final updates remain available below.
Construction crews started working to expand the City of Cambridge’s bicycle facility network with a new north-south corridor for cyclists on Quincy, Bow, and DeWolfe Streets in June 2020. The project's goal is to improve bike facilities along these streets, accommodate two-way bike circulation, implement new traffic calming measures, and improve adjacent street surfaces. All work is taking place between Memorial Drive and Cambridge Street.
General work hours were Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. with occasional night work needed. Pedestrian pathways were maintained throughout the duration of the project and ample temporary signage was provided for vehicular detours when street closures were needed.
Construction update - December 2020:
- The Quincy/DeWolfe Streets Bicycle Facility Improvement Project is substantially complete.
- The contractor will be placing final pavement markings at the Quincy Street/Broadway intersection during the week of November 30.
Construction activities planned for the week of November 23 include:
- During the week of November 23, the only additional work left to be done is placing the preform pavement markings across the intersections at Quincy/Cambridge Streets and Quincy/Broadway. This work is not disruptive and will be performed either Friday, November 20, beginning at 8:00 pm or one night next week when the temperature is most conducive to the work.
- Also next week, the contractor will be doing some final cleanup work and taking care of some punch list items along the corridor.
Construction activities planned for the week of November 2 include:
- Brick work at the end of DeWolfe Steet closest to Memorial Drive.
- Install new pavement markings and striping along the corridor.
- Install new signals at several intersections, including Quincy/Cambridge Streets, Quincy/Broadway and Cowperthwaite at Memorial Drive.
Striping will limit access to Memorial Drive, Grant and Cowperthwaite Streets from DeWolfe Street at times this week. Exact dates are TBD where the work is weather-dependent.