Richard A. & Susan F. Smith Campus Center
Week of 4/24/17
Work with Potential for Noise Impacts
- Steel at the Holyoke North MER (mechanical equipment room) will continue to be erected.
- Window protection will continue to be installed at the 1st and 2nd floor of the Holyoke Street bookend.
- Scaffolding removal will continue at the Pharmacy Pavilion.
- Scaffolding will continue to be installed at the South Tower. Concrete chipping will ensue on Friday, April 28th and Saturday, April 29th.
- Steel beams will begin to be welded and erected about the Dunster North and South access ramps on Saturday, April 29th.
- Installation of manholes will continue at the Mt. Auburn Plaza.
- Plates will continue to be installed at the Welcome Center. This activity involves drilling and will take place in the evening hours after 5:00 PM. Demolition of the glass films above the main entrance will take place on Saturday, April 29th.
- Paver removal will begin at the Dunster Street and Mass Ave intersection. This work included relocating existing MEP services, installing a temporary crosswalk, and resetting curbs.
- HUHS Urgent Care After Hours (Monday-Friday: 5:30pm-7:30am, and all day weekends and holidays) will be relocated to the HUHS Law School clinic in Pound Hall.
- Dumpsters will be placed on the Dunster South garage access ramp from 5:30PM-12:30AM.
- Construction equipment will continue to be relocated from the South garage ramp to the North garage ramp.
Roadway and Sidewalk Impacts
- Work will continue at the Dunster Street Raised Crosswalk. The reconstruction of the crosswalk will take 2-3 weeks to complete, weather permitting. Pedestrian detours are in place.
- Bike racks that were once located on Dunster Street at Mt. Auburn Street have been relocated to the south entrance of the Smith. Campus Center (Mt. Auburn Street). We apologize for any inconvenience.
- Holyoke Street Pavilion - Steel erection will continue and Holyoke Street will be closed on a daily basis from 7am-4pm. The sidewalks on the east side of Holyoke Street will remain open for pedestrian traffic and emergency vehicles will maintain access at all times. The new three storied Holyoke Pavilion is scheduled to be completed in April 2018.
- Holyoke Street will continue to be closed from 7:00AM-4:00PM for pavilion demolition work. Police detail will be posted at the intersection of Mt Auburn Street and Holyoke Street to re-direct traffic.
- Dunster North Ramp will be open during the day to vehicular traffic only, and will be closed at night from 6:00pm – 12:00am. Dunster South Ramp will be open to both vehicular and pedestrian traffic during the day, and will be closed at night from 6:00pm – 12:00am. Please note that on Saturday, April 29th, the Dunster South Ramp will be closed all day for steel erection. Vehicles will be redirected to use Holyoke South Ramp for garage access.
- Holyoke North Ramp will be closed during the day and open at night for vehicular traffic. Holyoke South Ramp will be closed intermittently during the day and open at night for vehicular traffic. Emergency vehicles will be permitted access only. The pedestrian ramp down to B1 is closed all day.
- Parking Garage will remain open. Entrance during the day will be through Dunster South Ramp. Entrance at night will be through Holyoke South Ramp. Exit will be through Dunster North Ramp. A police detail will be located at both Dunster ramps for traffic control.
- Dunster Street and Holyoke Street sidewalks adjacent to the building will be closed for the duration of the project.
- The sidewalk and parking at the corner of Dunster and Mass Ave immediately adjacent to Forbes Plaza will be closed from 7:00AM-4:00PM.
- Mt. Auburn entrance to the Arcade will be completely closed for the duration of the project.
- All 5 stairwells within the building are accessible in the event of an emergency.
- Forbes Plaza will remain closed for the duration of the project. Pedestrian access to Campus Center Elevators P3 - P6 is through the Mass Ave Entrance Only. All other Arcade access will remain closed. Pedestrian access will be restricted and clearly directed with signage.
- Bike racks are available at the basement level and southwest corner of the building.
- Materials and equipment deliveries will occur along Holyoke Street and may also require intermittent closure of garage access ramps necessary for materials deliveries and scaffolding erection. At a minimum one entrance and one exit ramp will be available at all times directed by police detail as necessary.