The contractor working on the multi-phase renovation of the Weld Boathouse on the corner of Memorial Drive and the Anderson Memorial Bridge is prepared to move forward with some of the project’s more noticeable phase one work starting the week of July 11th.
As a reminder, phase one of the project involves site preparation and utility work, including the introduction of a new 6-inch fire main from JFK Street to the Weld Boathouse, and an electrical service upgrade via a new duct bank from Eliot House to the boathouse.
Fencing has been installed around the Weld Boathouse, to be followed by tree protection and scrim. Beginning the week of July 11th, construction equipment will begin entering the site and the contractor will begin excavating a test pit across the street, creating a work zone just outside of Eliot House. Over the next several weeks, the contractor will be conducting utility work in phases across Memorial Drive and later on JFK Street. Travel lanes on both roads will remain open to vehicles and detours with signage will be in place in the area to guide bicyclists and pedestrians as needed.
- Project work hours are Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- The contractor will adhere to the City of Cambridge’s noise ordinance and will not perform work before 7:00 a.m. or after 6:00 p.m.
- Some Saturday work may be necessary between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- The utility work will require the contractor to excavate trenches in the public way, including across Memorial Drive, and on the adjacent sidewalks on both sides of Memorial Drive, in front of both Eliot House and the Weld Boathouse.
- Pedestrian and bicycle pathways will be maintained along the Anderson Bridge and at the JFK Street/Memorial Drive intersection throughout the project, however, walking and bicycle detours will be necessary at times. Signage will be posted to ensure safety.
- During project hours, the work will generate noise due to the presence of work crews and the use of construction equipment needed to perform this work.
- The contractor will be working in the road at times, both on JFK Street and Memorial Drive. Full street closures will not be necessary, however, during the trenching work, travel lanes will be reduced and police details will be directing vehicles around the work sites.
- All excavated areas will be plated over at the end of every shift and repaved once the work is complete.
- Construction vehicles and deliveries will enter and exit the boathouse site through a single gate off Memorial Drive. Deliveries will be restricted to 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. to minimize inconvenience during rush hour.
- Truck routes will be enforced to keep construction vehicles out of the neighborhoods.
- Parking will not be permitted on the work site, excluding any designated emergency vehicles.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Harvard Construction Mitigation at 617-496-0857 or firstname.lastname@example.org.