Harvard University Construction Mitigation
The mission of Harvard University’s Construction Mitigation program is to pre-empt, minimize, and/or eliminate the negative impacts large construction and renovation projects can have on neighborhoods, businesses, the City, and the greater Harvard University community, including students, faculty and employees, while collaborating with contractors to ensure the timely and efficient completion of construction activities for the benefit of the University.
We serve as the voice for these stakeholders and trusted advisors to the University throughout the lifecycle of each project and help manage construction risks to ensure successful outcomes that align with Harvard’s academic priorities and the University’s Capital Plan.
Construction Mitigation Program Components
Construction Mitigation achieves its goals by collaborating with contractors and project teams; proactively planning ahead of each project to prevent disruptions; monitoring each job site regularly; maintaining open communications with all stakeholders; developing innovative solutions to complex construction-related issues and community concerns; ensuring compliance with mitigation standards; and enforcing protocols.
Harvard’s construction mitigation program succeeds by striking a balance between minimizing a project’s impacts on the community while supporting the University’s capital planning.
The University’s comprehensive Construction Mitigation program includes the following components:
- Pre-construction Surveys
- Site and Building Logistics Plans
- Transportation and Parking Plans
- Vehicular and Pedestrian Traffic Plans
- Construction Management Plans
- Construction Protocol Development
- Schedule Analysis
Communications & Problem Solving
- Construction Mitigation Hotline and Email
- Routine Stakeholder Notifications
- Weekly Mitigation Meetings
- Risk and Issues Management Meetings
- Community Meetings
- Project Community Information Boards
- Project-Specific Websites
- Issues Resolution
Monitoring & Reporting
- Daily Project Site Visits
- Dust, Noise, Vibration, and Emissions
- Building and Ground Movements
- Trash Collection, Debris, and Pests
- Pedestrian and Vehicular Traffic
- Mitigation Infraction Warnings and Fines
- Corrective Action Plan Implementation