Crews continue work on the Western Avenue utility crossing which involves temporarily relocating a section of Kresge Way which opened on Thursday, July 21st. Pedestrian and vehicular shifts on Western Avenue to accommodate underground utility trenches and work zones will be in place. The work will continue into spring 2023 and will be coordinated with University operations.
Please see below and attached for details.
Kresge Way Temporary Relocation
As part of Harvard’s infrastructure improvements in Allston, the University is extending thermal piping and electrical/telecommunications duct banks from the District Energy Facility across Western Avenue to Kresge Way, the main driveway into the HBS campus. An interim drive further west off Western Avenue has replaced the original drive.
Western Avenue Utility Crossing
Work for the utility crossing at Western Avenue will allow for expansion of the Harvard’s Allston energy infrastructure and is expected to be complete next spring. Supporting vehicular, cycling and pedestrian flow, a phased approach is being used to install hot water and chilled water supply and return piping, telecommunications and electrical duct banks across the width of Western Ave. The construction activity consists of six phases to excavate two trenches the width of Western Avenue. Only a third of the roadway will be a construction zone allowing for two, open vehicular traffic lanes at all times, one in each direction.
- A detailed traffic management plan is in place always maintaining two lanes of traffic and with pedestrians rerouted to the sidewalk in front of the Harvard Business School.
- Trenching work zones will be set up.
- Drilling of piles for supporting the trenches has begun on the south side of Western Avenue.
- Abutters can anticipate intermittent noise during excavation including use of a vacuum truck and drill rig.
- Appropriate signage and police details or workers will be in place. Work is scheduled to take place in close coordination with Business School/Housing/Transportation operations.
- Saturday work will take place on July 23rd.
- During project hours 7AM to 3PM (at times may extend to 6PM), the work will generate noise due to the presence of work crews and the use of construction equipment.
DEF Thermal and Electrical Duct Bank Installation
- Work under the future East Drive to the future Treehouse Conference Center continues behind the construction fence with the Enterprise Research Campus (ERC) Phase 1A construction teams on the southside of Western Ave.
- All are working in coordination with National Resilience.
Sewer Tie-in at Western Avenue
The sewer tie-in work in the roadway is complete. The sewer connection work continues inside the ERC site.
Eversource is expected to replace a manhole in this area of Western Avenue. This activity will be underway for approximately two months.
If you have any questions or would like to be added to the distribution list, please reach out to Harvard Construction Mitigation at 617-496 0857 or email@example.com